Saturday, August 11, 2007

How Rotary was set to change my life ...

When I started law school, I never imagined that I would continue my education after I graduated. The stretch to also get an MBA and extend my time at the law school by another year was already postponing my entry into the workforce. It really wasn't postponing work that was attractive, but to obtain the best experience I could before I had to begin those billable hours.

Opportunities always come knocking at the door ... it's the ability to hear them and allow them to come into your life that will permit you to be the best that you can be. About two years ago, I ran into an opportunity of a lifetime. Through my involvement at the law school, I got to know many international students studying at the law school for their LL.M. (Masters of Law). I ended up dating one of them, Sabrina from Germany, who was studying as a Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar. Not only did such a program sound interesting, but I had always wanted to study abroad. Moreover, the Rotarians in Indianapolis recruited me heavily to apply, and I knew this was the opportunity that would change my life. This was the chance to finally experience life in a new and different culture. My studies would propel me to a whole new level of interest ... international business law, and this might just be the ticket to do work in this area. My main interest is to help attract businesses to my great homestate - Indiana - and help Hoosier businesses expand around the world.

As for my permanent work, the law firm that I had been working for for the past two summers was gracious to defer my offer. I will return to Krieg DeVault LLP to practice after my studies in Europe.

I hope that all who follows this blog will find my travels and experiences as interesting as I. I am constantly informing others about Rotary's educational programs and grants as I find that there is no other program similar or comparable to this.

No comments: