Sunday, August 12, 2007

Pre-Departure Rotary Experiences


I highly encourage all who are interested in studying abroad to look into the Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarship. I have spoken to many qualified friends about the scholarship, but it's tough for people to commit to because of it's long timeline. You should start thinking about the scholarship two years ahead. You apply for the scholarship about one and one half years before your departure, and you know of the outcome about one year in advance.





The reason for this timeline is to allow proper preparation before your departure, but also that you can make presentations to surrounding Rotary Clubs in your area.


As part of my orientation as Ambassadorial Scholar, I attended the Multi-District Outgoing Scholar Orientation, held in Nashville, TN. I traveled down to Nashville, TN with fellow scholar Andrea Wiese. Andrea is going to study in Turkey, and I am definitely going to visit her while I am in Europe. We had a blast on the trip! We made several stops and excursions along the way: Jim Bean Distillery and Abraham Lincoln's Birthplace. I'm an alcoholic :) and Andrea's a history whiz!



We also got together and toured Indiana State Government, and had social gatherings as well.



No comments: