Friday, August 24, 2007

It's a small world ... my trip to Lithuania


The world, truly, is a very small place, especially with today's technology. As a result, it is evermore important to understand different cultures, ethnicities, and customs, as we all live side by side and we are all effected by each others' actions.

From my years in law school at IU, I had the pleasure to meet many people from different cultures and backgrounds. I worked and tried hard to ensure that their time in Indiana was a pleasant one, as this was the best marketing that the State could have ... personal interaction. It would be these future leaders in their countries that would remember Indiana and its people.

About two years ago, I had the opportunity to meet Adam, who was from Lithuania. He actually ended up to be one of my roommates. A very smart guy, he graduated top of his class in Lithuania and turned down many lucrative offers in Lithuania to come to the US and continue his studies. He had a pleasant time in Indiana, and it was now time for me to sample a bit of his home country.

Adam, who took the New York Bar Exam, and works in Chicago, was taking time off to visit his family in Vilnius, Lithuania. Since I was in Europe, what a perfect meeting point for me to see him as well as experience his home country.

I spent 4 days in Vilnius, the capital of Lithuania, and had an amazing time. It's a beautiful city with much progress, and at the same time, much remains from the old Soviet times. The land is rolling, not flat like Holland, with forested hills and rivers. The countryside is beautifully lined with old cottages.

I even tried to visit the Rotary club in Vilnius, but unfortunately, the club was not meeting in the summer.









Trakai is an ancient castle. There was a festival going on the same day!



This is the geographic center of Europe!!




No comments: